Wednesday, November 15, 2006

jawbreaker



damm...brings back sweet November cold mornings walking when i could taste the rain.

jawbreaker has always been one of the best.

this song is the last one they recorded before blake's throat surgery, and you can really hear the toll that had been taken on his voice.

of the song, they say it's "inspired by a liquor store down on Mission where the junkies would buy five-cent candies with dollar food stamps and use the change for their darker pursuits. A kind of tacit, don't-look-don't-tell agreement between the avuncular Eastern proprietors and their lean, bread-and-butter clientele. Plus, I was down there a lot with my girlfriend, then she wasn't my girlfriend anymore, so that became part of the story."

i was always into their words, and these are some of my faves. dig:


It gets loneliest at night
Down at the liquor store
Beneath the neon sky
Our moonlight
Six A.M., the floor comes alive with lice
The pan's dried up so tight
With hardened beans
We're hungry
So I lean on you sometimes
Just to see
You're still there
Your feet can't take the weight of one
Much less two
We hit concrete

How were we born into this mess?
I know I painted you a prettier picture, baby
But we were run out on a rail
Fell from the wagon to the night train

Cigarettes they fill the gaps
In our empty days
In our broken teeth
We're jonesing
Say mister, can you spare a dime?
Some change could make a change
Could buy some time
Some freedom
Or an ear to hear my story
It's all I've got
My fiction
Beats the hell out of my truth
A palm upturned burnt blue
Don't call it sunburn

You've been shaking on the job
Just one drink ahead of your past
There's a white light coming up
You draw the blinds hoping it'll pass

I kissed the bottle
I should've been kissing you
You wake up to an empty night
With tears for two



listen: jawbreaker - kiss the bottle
buy: jawbreaker records

1 Comments:

Blogger Johnny St. Clair said...

hey!!!

glad you're back

how's the county?

cool, cool...

and thanks for the nice words, by the way...or, as Ron Artest said to Ben Wallace, "you can suck my balls."

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home