Monday, November 19, 2007

a Marah video - formula, cola, dollar draft





there was a time when I didn't talk
i'd look away, or i'd shrug it off
turn it out or turn it off
or say something short and soft
out of school i took a J-O-B
makin' buttons in a factory
thinking what does life got in for me?
and i didn't wanna know
in a city full of double deals
my boss would yawn and roll back on his heels
like anyone could cop a feel of lady luck
i was made with my brother Bill
drinking Muskie Moons on top of Laurel Hill
it's funny now i'd cheek a poison pill to sober up
and no two-bit claim of I'm all right
is gonna turn around and make it right
so i'm fishing in my pocket for a light
and i'm standin' on the corner on a Saturday night
i seen pigeons flap their filthy wings
to a freezing sunset in the west
rain shit down from their haunted perch
in the bells above St. someone's church
the Sexton drinks and dreams in bed
one eye in a line of light
startled by a ghost he screams
his dead wife's name into the night
which echoes down a cobbled hall
bounces off a gray stone floor
fired down a line of stairs
where it's silenced by a door
beyond which i am leaning, leaning
watching cars and dreaming
as steam rose 'round my body
like my soul up to the stars
i guess the devil's had his way with town
now what Willie is in the ground
and i guess the devil made me this
when he gave me no one i can't resist
i got the bill today
wrote back i moved away
they called me up to say
i'm still here
so on the 5th day of the 5th month
at 5 o'clock in the dawn
i rolled myself in a T-O-P
and jumped out on highway one
with a 400 engine hot as a cremation coffin
and a tailgate bangin' like an airplane wing
i was rollin' on the highway doing it my way
whistling "Someday" and singing this song

i'm thinking tonight of my blue eyes
concerning the great speckled bird
i didn't know God made honky-tonk angels
and went back to the wild side of life




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last line is from a DAC song, 'If that ain't country'. Maybe you have heard it? Let me know if you are interested if you haven't.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home